Sicyon is a region full of history, which is Intrinsically linked to the Greek Mythology. Τhe city of Sikyonia flourished in ancient times, especially in the middle of 2nd century B.C. In this region, it is speculated that ancient drama was performed for the first time. Furthermore, very important schools of sculpture and painting had been developed, with great artists, such as Lyssipos, who was the sculptor of Alexander the Great. Also known are the poet Praxilla and politicians, such as Cleisthenes, the tyrant of Sicyon and Aratos.
The visitor has the opportunity to admire the history of the region by visiting the archaeological site of Sicyon, 5 km away from Kiato. The excavations from 1885 to 1895 and from 1920 to 1988, have brought into the light the ancient theatre, the Bouleuterion, Palaestra – Gymnasium and the Stadium.
Roman baths have become the archaeological museum, where the visitor could admire the pots, sculptures, mosaics, coins and other findings, which show the art heritage of the past. Very interesting are the mosaic floors, which picture mythical animals.
The Ancient theater of Sicyon is one of biggest theaters of Ancient Greece and the view to the Corinthian Gulf and the mountain range of Central Greece is great.
The Byzantine monastery of Lechova, in mountain village Kryoneri, is worth visiting and some other important monuments are the Ancient Titani, where there was one of the most ancient Asklipiio, and the ancient basilica, which was built in the beginning of the 5th century. It was covering the Christian needs of the travelers and after it was abandoned, it became a grave yard.
The ancient city of Stymphalos, which was near to the Lake Stymphalia, took its name by the Arcadian hero Stymphalos.
The brave soldiers from Stymphalia fought in Trojan War, in Persian Wars and in the Peloponnesian War.
The city was built on the north side of the lake and it was surrounded by a wall, some parts of which are now preserved into the lake.
Pausanias, who was a traveler and visited the region, was impressed by the Temple of Artemis Stymphalia, which was dedicated to the goddess Artemis and inside there was a golden statue of her, wooden statues of the Stymphalian birds and the virgins with the legs of birds, made of marble.
During the period of the Ottoman rule, the area was a shelter for Klephts and some great soldiers came from this area at the Greek War of Independence, such as Anagnostis Oikonomou, Notaras etc.
During the World War II, there was also a very important battle in Stymphalia.
The excavations from 1924 to 1929 have revealed structures of the ancient agora, palaestra, tunnels and of a temple.
There were also found signs of aqueduct, that supplied with water all regions 100 km away to Corinth and it was built on 138 B.C.
The most important finding today is the Frankish church (13th century) and a part of the pylon of the Frankish monastery, built with an ancient building material, same as the one, Temple of Artemis was built with.
Monasteries, churches and monuments of the Greek history, found in villages of the municipality, compose the cultural heritage of the region.
Feneos was a city of ancient Arcadia while today it belongs to Korinthia region.
It used to be one of the largest and the most important cities of Arcadia, located in a rich valley with two rivers flowing through, Olbius and Doxas. The valley did not flood due to the water superabundance from these rivers, as it was carried off by sinks and reappeared in a long distance, on the springs of Ladonas.
The ancient city has been excavated and can host visitors. It is close to the villages Feneos and Ancient Feneos.
The ancient walls, the temple of Asclepius, numerous relics of buildings, statues and parts of statues as well as signs have been found. The visitor can also see the sinks which still exist and function to this very day.
According to the myth, these sinks were dug by Hercules himself to drive out the stagnant waters. One other myth describes these sinks was the entrance to Hades and that this was the place where Demetra went to the Underworld, looking for her daughter Persephone.
According to historical evidence, the first settlement on Feneos was created by the Pelasgians and later, in 1900 B.C., inhabited by Arcades. The Achaeans, who in 1500 B.C. created the Mycenaean center of Feneos, participated, under the leadership of the king of Arcades Agathinoras, in the Trojan War with 60 warriors.
In the city and in the broader area were the temples of: Demetra the Kidaria, Demetra the Eleusinian where there were two worshiping stones and the temple’s priests performed mystic rituals, the temple of Asclepius and Hermes the Fenean in which there was a statue of the god sculptured by Athenian Euheirus.
There were also the tombs of Iphicles, brother of Hercules and father of Iolaus, Myrtilus who the Myrtoan Sea holds its name from, and Aepytus out of town.